The First Barsoom Omnibus: A Princess of Mars; The Gods of Mars; Warlord of Mars

The First Barsoom Omnibus (Barsoom, #1-3) - Edgar Rice Burroughs This is another book (well the whole series, really) that I have difficulties in rating objectively: I grew up reading and rereading the adventures of John Carter, so not only do they transport me to the exotic world of Barsoom, but also to the more distant world of my adolescence.So, foregoing any attempt at objectivity, A Princess of Mars is one of the greatest books of all time and is an undoubted classic of World Literature! OK, so that is putting it too strongly. What it really is, is a cracking adventure yarn that never stops driving forward. Burroughs introduces his characters and environments in clear, concise, but evocative, prose and then gets down to the action.On Barsoom, everything is writ on a large scale: Carter is the bravest, handsomest, strongest and most courageous of heroes; Dejah Thoris the most incomparably beautiful and loyal woman imaginable; Woola is the most faithful and unfailing of pets; the villains (of which there are many) are all more evil and degraded than the last. No half-measures here! Yes, it's pulp-fiction; yes, it's melodrama; but let it sweep you away and it's likely that you'll be carrying a little piece of Mars with you forever.Oh, and one of the best cliffhanger endings ever! You've just got to read The Gods Of Mars.