An Encyclopedia of Fairies: Hobgoblins, Brownies, Bogies, & Other Supernatural Creatures

Encyclopedia of Fairies: Hobgoblins, Brownies, Bogies, & Other Supernatural Creatures - Katharine Mary Briggs A wonderful compendium of the folkloric inhabitants of the British Isles.In addition to entries about the Little People, there are also entries on certain folkloric motifs, such as Shapeshifting and Captives in Fairyland, and on prominent collectors of tales and writers upon the subject.As well as the usual index and bibliography, the book also has an Index of Types and Motifs, by which folklore tales have been categorised, thus making it easy to compare similarities between stories which sometimes span the length of the land. This is also facilitated by the entries being cross-referenced within the text (rather like a hyper-text webpage). Although not a book that I would read from cover-to-cover, it's fun to dip into: often, having gone to look up a particular entry, I find that I've lost half an hour or so flitting from topic to another.There are also line illustrations throughout, and a set of monochrome plates showing classic depictions of fairies, elves, goblins, et al.In summary, an excellent and engaging reference work.