The Book of the Dun Cow

The Book of the Dun Cow - Walter Wangerin Jr. Having had this book on my shelf for 30 years, I decided that I should finally read it, so took it on holiday. Why did I wait so long?! This is instantly one of my favourite books. By turns funny, frightening, sorrowful and uplifting, the book tells the story of Chauntecleer the rooster and his battle to uphold good against evil.The Christian symbolism is laid on fairly thick, but not so much that it gets in the way of the story and its message, which obviously is a Christian one. However, as G -vs- E is a universal theme, it easily transcends its roots in a specific religious tradition.Chauntecleer is portrayed as a very complex character: proud and arrogant,but also very loving and self-sacrificing. He's a monumental literary creation. I really liked Mundo Cani Dog, and he's my favourite of the supporting cast.Despite living in an obviously human-made environment (wooden coop with doors and windows, bread and cracked corn to eat) people do not enter the story at all and the whole narrative focuses on the animals of Chantecleer's domain. Having said that, I suppose that the whole book is actually about people, but allegorically so.I'm definitely going to track down The Book of Sorrows, which continues the story where Dun Cow leaves off.